Working as a freelancer makes you discover all kinds of new tools with which companies like to communicate, store information, manage time, staff and money.
What have you been working with?
Here is an overview of the tools I am working with to accomplish the jobs:
1) Preparation / Planning
- Planner (https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Planner)
This tool is great to plan and schedule your project, so that you can get an overview of the different tasks and of the time involved to reach the goal.
One of the most helpful windows in it is the Gantt Chart!
- Pencil (https://pencil.evolus.vn/)
From Vietnam for us. I love this tool!
It allows you to create great mockups for Webpages and Mobile applications. Check it out.
- LibreOffice Impress (https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/impress/)
- Reveal.js (https://github.com/hakimel/reveal.js)
Here we come into the phase for which you will need various tools depending on what you have to achieve and with whom you are working / communicating.
- Sublime Text 3 (https://www.sublimetext.com/3)
Sublime is extremely powerful and is with VIM (see below) the editor I am using the most.
- VIM (https://www.vim.org/)
vim is an amazing and very powerful text editor that you can find in your linux repository.
I am using it since I starting programming and find it always very useful when accessing remote servers from terminal (ssh).
- SLACK (https://slack.com/)
Great online platform to communicate with team.
With the free version you can add up to 10 team members.
- Harvest (https://www.getharvest.com/)
Harvest is a great online time tracker with many applications. I can highly recommend it.
- CharmTimeTracker (https://github.com/KDAB/Charm)
If Harvest is too expensive for you, you can always use the simple but very helpful CharmTimeTracker
- Atlassian / Jira (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira)
Difficult to tell where Jira exactly belongs (from the preparation to the development, even the wrapping up phase)
Jira helps to plan, manage, track your project and is extremely helpful when working in a team.
- Trello (https://trello.com/)
Trello is not as powerful as Jira, but also not as complex.
It is beautifully presented and helps a lot to manage projects and share information between team members or even just for a single developer to remember details about all the tasks.
What are your favourites?
Leave a Reply